Wednesday, October 24, 2018

Remnants - Behind the Scenes Notes for Chapter 20

So, this was probably a chapter that made folks a bit sad. At least for a while. Allow me to share some insight.


I opened this with a quote from the poem Volupso, detailing the myth of Ragnarok, the Norse prophecy of the end of the world. I suppose there are a few allusion to the myth. Beyond just how many people die, it's the end of one timeline and the rebirth of another by the end of it. Much like the myth itself which states that Ragnarok is the end of one world but the beginning of a new one.

Of course the more direct allusion is all the death. Mainly one final battle where the Gods give their lives fighting their worst and most hated enemies. Here it is much the same, every death is punctuated with some kind of greater sense of sacrifice and loss. The question I was faced with, of course, was who died, when and how.

Kat was unfortunately the first. A specific allusion to how she originally died, a sniper's bullet. The idea of her seeing Carter before she passed was something I added to present a bit more tragedy to the proceedings. I do honestly feel, at times, that Carter was the only person Kat ever truly loved to a degree. I'm not saying they were romantic or anything, but they were clearly close and the lose of Carter weighs heavily on her. So, in my head, her one comfort would be seeing him again.

Zaeed was next, the question was how. I had a few ideas, the one I went with seemed to make the most sense. I don't know if it was him finally doing something selfless, being fed up with always being the only survivor, or just wanting the pain to end. In my mind, it was an appropriate way for him to go out, taking out a threat to his squad in a blaze of glory.

Wrex and the other Krogan had to meet a more Spartan-esque end, something even more akin to how the Gods in the Ragnarok story died. A horde of undead monsters seemed to make the most sense in my mind. The idea of the three last living krogan going out together in a final glorious act of defiance just fit them as characters and as a species. I do hope I captured each of their distinct voices for the most part. Drack, the oldest, Wrex the progressive, Grunt the youngest but more mature than he was before. They all symbolize different aspects of who the krogan are to me. Not as brutish angry warriors, so much as a species that is brave enough and capable enough to put themselves on the line for the benefit of others, even if it costs them everything. I think I admire the krogan more for what they could be than what they present themselves as in this regard. I'm hoping that makes sense. It's why I never kill Wrex and it's why I try to bridge the gap between them and the rest of the galaxy when I can. I see potential and I see courage, I wanted to show that in their final act.

Cora and Liam were next and I feel that at this point it's time to better explain my position on Andromeda. Again, I don't hate the game and I don't even agree with common criticisms concerning the characters within it. Liam for example, the point of his character and his loyalty mission is rather simple to understand. Yeah, he screws up, that's the point. He screws up and he's forced to try and fix his major mistake. The end result being what does he learn from this, what does he take away from it. As Ryder, you have a choice, to humble him in his pursuit of trying to fix everything constantly to the point he breaks it unintentionally, or teach him that even screw ups can yield net results. For example, yeah, he did make a mistake sharing codes to outside people, but the action did lead them to a band of pirates that were making a right nuissance of themselves and it's a good thing we removed them.

True, you can't kick him off the team, but you can reprimand him and doing so or not is how you functionally inform the intended message. Now, perhaps they could've done the execution better, I'll admit the dialogue in the mission can seem a bit inconsistent in what tone your Ryder is going for if you're not paying attention. However, it's a fun mission. It's not like it's annoying or anything. More importantly, Liam is supposed to be flawed and it's important he's flawed and he doesn't try and excuse his flaws in this instance. He screwed up, he owns it. I respect that and I'm not going to hate him because of his screw up.

I do admit, I don't use him much, because I find human squadmates in general boring. But that's just me I guess. I wanted to give Liam something of a heroic death at least, to show that he's just as worthy of being here as anyone else, that he cares. The death by the Tri-Clops was merely the most obvious answer as we hadn't seen one in a while and I wanted to bring it back.

Oh, and in case you're wondering, no one knows about the implant stuff regarding Cerberus. They keep things largely to themselves in this timeline, so there hasn't been time to discover the truth about what they really are. Same thing with the Illusive Man, he's hanging out in the secret base you invade in ME3. That's why he doesn't show up. As for the Reapers, well, it's complicated there. See, I don't think the Reapers give Cerberus orders in ME3 so much as they influence certain actions. Remember, indoctrination works longer the less control asserted. Cerberus was useful because they didn't even realized they were indoctrinated. They believed they still had free will but they didn't. They were working towards their own ends within regards to what the Reapers wanted, but they could hide things, like Horizon. And they also experimented on the Repaer husks, which they didn't like. I imagined that with the crystal it was much the same way. They had it, but the Reapers don't know about it anymore than anyone else did. So once they discovered where it was, Harbinger called all his forces to converge and take it from them so they could use it. Even if it meant killing their pawns. Because sacrifices must be made, you know?

Cora for me is interesting. The most alien human I think. She clearly identifies more with the Asari than her own species. Which makes her a nice contrast to Peebee who doesn't really see being an Asari as a big deal. I don't really subscribe to the "She's Illusive Man's Kid" theory. Harper is a common name, folks. And if you were a spy, you wouldn't use your real name like that. Plus, what purpose would it serve in the story? If she isn't a spy, if she isn't Cerberus, then it's just a random tidbit. Seems pointless to me. Plus she loves aliens, so... doesn't track.

I have considered maybe doing a run where I romance Cora, if only because she's a pretty neat character for who she is. She's fairly realist in her approach in all things but Asari, who she holds in a fairly naive sense of regard and respect. She clearly has assimilated their culture more in many aspects. It makes her interesting, I kinda wish we saw more of it honestly. I'm not sure why she's not bisexual like most other characters aboard the Tempest, but whatever. Some characters should probably have their orientation locked in I guess.

As far as her death was concerned, I wanted her to have a moment to prove how powerful she was, even when wounded. Also a chance for her and Peebee to reconcile a bit. In my mind, they do like each other, they're just stubborn in their set ways and personality, so they don't admit it. I thought it was a nice moment to add some dimension to that relationship.

Miranda's death was to bring her full circle, assuming she did die. She gave her life keeping Shepard alive, as was expected of her. At the same time, she gave him the means to complete his mission in the past and better protect the future for the better. Always being one step ahead has been Miranda's greatest asset as far as capabilities go. It's hard not to admire that about her and it's why I've softened my general thoughts towards her over the years.

Vetra and Sarah being a couple was, yeah, I wanted to do some Lesbian stuff really and I felt Vetra and Sarah could have the most stable and normal of relationships in that regard. I didn't make a big deal about it or the fact they decided to get married, because I don't feel it should be overtly pushed as anything but normal. They're woman who love each other and would die for one another, really what's wrong with that? I wanted to give some hope that they at least could make it, because I do like Vetra. She's probably one of the most rounded characters in Andromeda and easily the most likable. I don't think I've seen anyone who hates her, mostly they just appreciate how confident, assertive and savy she is. Almost like a female Lando, but with more scruples and less of a gambler.

Also, this is part of why I feel your sibling should've been allowed to be a squadmate on your team. It opens up another avenue for roleplaying. You can play matchmaker for your sister or brother. Think about that? Think of the love triangle you could create, the tension that would involve in missions. It would be interesting to see how your siblings developed feelings for other crew mates. It's just wasted story telling potential.

And now... Peebee, my Scott's one true love. Peebee is an extremely divisive character from what I've seen. Her personality lends itself to that. Her loyalty mission even more so. However, I was instantly endeared to her for one simple reason. She knows she's a mess and she's okay with that. Her humor, like her actual mask, is part of her way of distancing folks from herself. Of keeping them at odds because she assumes they will leave or abandon her anyway. She lives out in an escape pod! What does that tell you? She's expecting to be shown the door, expecting to be tossed out, because that's what she knows, it's all she knows.

That's why the MASK is important and why removing it in mods is a dumb move narratively! It's the whole point of her character! The mask exists to keep people at length and disguise who she is! It's a defense mechanism for her crippling anxiety and self-worth issues! She projects an image of a rogue-like on the edge risk taking scoundrel because that's how she survives! By acting like she don't give a fuck when in reality she really, REALLY gives a fuck.

She wants to connect to people, but she fears them. In many ways, I saw something akin to myself in her. An asari with very clear signs of something akin to Aspergers, coupled with the experience of being treated like crap by a very shitty and abusive girlfriend. I understood her, I knew why she was acting this way because I could relate to feeling isolated and worthless and disposable. And all I wanted to do was tell her she wasn't, because I've been where she had been and I survived!

Do you know WHY she launches the escape pod on her loyalty mission? Why she can't wait to find a place to land? Because Peebee doesn't want to wait on anyone else. She jumps head in to anything she is passionate about because she wants to get it done, she wants to do things, she wants to be free! Because she is bundle of anxiety and self-doubt and the best way to confront that, in her mind, is by letting go of inhibitions and hitting "fuck it" whenever possible. She is deeply flawed and those flaws are what make her stand out as a character, especially among a ton of Asari who all seem to share the same face mind you! The fact she confronts her problems the way she does just made me like her more.

Besides, how the hell do you want to start a mission in a game? Perfect landing or being launched out at a planet! This is supposed to be an action title, people! And did you really expect the Asari who says hello by jumping and tackling folks to be any different?

I wanted to show why I like Peebee and why I consider her one of the best romances in the game. It's why I devoted a lot of time to her anxiety and sense of helplessness. The fear that she is going to, not just lose Scott, but never remember him or see him. That everything they shared that is precious to her is going to be erased. Peebee has made this connection, a real loving, supportive connection, and she doesn't want to lose it. So when Scott is hurt, near dying, she completely breaks, refusing to go on without him, the walls of protection she built up around her completely shattering as she confesses outright to him that she is pregenant with Scott's child. Before fearing that it would scare him away, now hoping it will convince him to stay even as he bleeds out. It added an emotional punch to the sequence that I felt resonated very strongly with all the characters involved. And I hope, reading it for yourselves, made you appreciate Peebee a bit more.

That's the thing here, a lot of people have been praising me for making these characters likable or better. While I appreciate the sentiment, it's more honest to say I simply adapted them from what I experienced in the games themselves. What you're seeing here is really no different than how the games portrayed them, at least in my mind. I simply had a bit more leeway and a different setting to put them in. Honestly, I didn't do much, I just spoke from the heart really about what endeared me to these people in the first place. Peebee is a prime example of that, a closed off, isolated girl, who finds love and a true connection that allows her to be a complete person at last.

Alec Ryder's decision to ask Shepard to stop what happened to the Andromeda Initiative back in the past will play out in the Liara storyline. For now, I'll explain why I did it this way. I don't believe Shepard would really be angry at the idea of people trying to escape all this. In fact, I think he'd prefer if he could find a way to get as many people onto those arks as possible. Especially with the Reapers coming because he knows that the chances of survival fighting them are slim. So he respects the idea of Alec wanting to escape and give his children a new and better life. Of course, technically, by saving the Andromeda Initiative, Shepard is unwittingly sending his hero off to die six hundred years later, but the point is, it gives Ryder and his kids a chance at a better life and Shepard is not going to let his hero down in any case.

Harbinger's return was always planned here. I really wanted to have a scene with him. As always, I loved Harbinger in ME2, this other wordly being, so ancient and powerful, has chosen to be your nemesis. It's kinda scary and it gives a certain aura to the fantasy of it all. Plus his voice is awesome, I mean come on. It was a mistake to not have him talk at any point in the third game. It really was. He is the actual big bad, I mean come. You'll let one of his smaller underlings talk, but not him? Please. I ofcourse gave him control over an Praetorian because, well, I wanted to use that ability from the Multiplayer somewhere. Plus it gave Kayap a cool fight to send him off with.

Ah yes, Kayap, our brave little unggoy soldier. It said something to me that, after surviving for so long, he was finally willing to give his life. Not for his own sense of peace, but to save Liara and do proud by her. Kayap is just that loyal to Liara, that he's willing to give his life for the person who finally gave it meaning. That's how special he is to me I guess. And I wanted to give him a good death as a result of that.

Speaking of Liara... yeah. You're probably wondering how that whole kiss thing will pan out. don't worry, no love triangles, not really. Shepard's feelings haven't changed, but I knew what Liara would do in that moment. The world is ending, this timeline is about to be erased, but she is probably going to die in any case. So... why not take the one thing she always wanted, knowing she'll never have that chance again. I think Liara has long since accepted Shepard has no feelings for her, not like that, but that doesn't change how she feels. And when you're about to die, I imagine you take stock about what you want most and you're not really going to think much about everything surrounding that.

It will make things a bit awkward, but to be fair, the Liara we know hasn't done anything. So, don't be hard on her guys. I mean, come on, the one man she's probably ever loved just came back and is about to leave again and undo a good solid year of your life that has resulted in a lot of your friends dying. I think we should cut her some slack for wanting one solid nice memory.

For those a bit disappointed that seems Zek has larned nothing from this experience, don't worry. Like Peebee, it's just a mask. This is an important part of Zek's character development and we'll see how things evolve from here soon enough.

So, one last thing, how does this change stuff? Shepard and Chief now know the Flood are still active. That the Covenant are coming to Earth at some point. That the plans to invade the other universe are in motion. That Cerberus is somehow here in the Halo universe. Really, there's a lot that can change from all that, most of it spoilers, but rest assured those questions will be answered in time. Just know that this trip into the future is going to color a lot of Shepard's decisions going forward and may lead to different things that diverge from what you expect from what happened in the games to come.

This was a huge turning point in the story to be frank and it sets up things for the next half of Remnants. So, bookmark these chapters, because you might want to refer back to them in the future. Until next time, I hope you enjoyed reading this latest installment and have a good one.

1 comment: